Bust My Size

Join me on my journey to lose over 170 lbs. and become a healthier person.

Friday, July 21, 2006

My little secret :-)

I have a little secret I'd like to share with you all. I'm a total grocery coupon fanatic. Several readers are from other countries, so I'm not sure if they have grocery coupons there. Basically coupons come from advertisements, typically in the Sunday newspaper, which can be redeemed at the grocery store for money off of the advertised product. Most of the coupons in the paper are pretty crappy, but a few special ones can make for FREE items when used on an item already on sale.

Sometimes grocery store chains offer their own coupons you can print and use exclusively in their store. Last week a local grocery store had a $2.00 off Oreos coupon and the small bag was only $1.99 so they would be FREE with the coupon. The same store also had Doritos on sale for $2.50 a bag and a coupon for $2.00 off so they'd be only $0.50. Now this week there are some Hot Pockets on closeout for $1.11 and there's a $1.50 coupon so they'd not only be FREE, but I'd MAKE money from the overage.

Herein lies my dilemma. I want to eat healthier, but everytime I turn around there's another free or cheap item they are dangling in front of me. As an avid couponer, I should never pass up a freebie. As a health conscious person, I shouldn't eat the junk food. I also feel guilty giving my kids something I wouldn't eat myself.

I know I shouldn't buy the stuff, and I won't, but I wish grocery stores would stop pushing all of the junkfood. This is why so many Americans are fat. We have all of this advertising pushing highly processed foods. They are easily attained, fast to prepare, and super cheap. They are also killing us one saturated fat gram at a time.

I've been "couponing" for years, but I've pretty much given up in the past few months because of this reason. After stopping I still have a big stockpile of free and cheap stuff which will take a while to finish. Wanna see a pic?

6 Comments:

  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger FatMom said…

    Wow, Jen...that's a FULLY stocked pantry! I can relate to your coupon-Queen madness! I used to cut out every damn coupon there was, match it to the store's sales, and buy! BUT, you're totally right..."bad" food is cheap food. And, they typically have coupons for it. It's been tough not to buy some of that stuff, when it's on SALE and I've got a COUPON! But...I just don't. I used to continue to buy it for my kids, but then, I though: duh! If I shouldn't have it, neither should they. Now, I'm not saying I NEVER buy "bad" food. We have 100% natural ice cream. We buy Trader Joe's version of Oreo's (very good), I make sure the potato chips don't have anything icky in it, and they have ONE serving. Trans fats, artificial colors/flavors are big no-no's here in our house. The only thing I do keep buying that's not good is Caffeine Free Pepsi. My family (not me) really loves it. The kids can have 2 small glasses a day. That's the big indulgence. And believe me, I feel bad about that. Anyhow, long story short: I sympathize with you, but health really is more important than saving 50 cents or a dollar. Trader Joe's has good prices as does WalMart. You just have to read labels at WalMart. I get ALL KINDS of our healthy food at WalMart. Sorry for the long comment!!

     
  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger FatMom said…

    P.S.: WalMart lets you use coupons! I think I'm the only person there who DOES use coupons, but...who cares!

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger BarbaraMG said…

    I have a similar problem. I find it hard to spend money on fruits and vegetables when they are so $$$!.
    You have a great pantry!

     
  • At 3:03 AM, Blogger TitanThirteen said…

    Hey :o)
    In Australia we have junk mail,Where shops send out like a booklet of their specials for that week. And some of them are awesome! Like this week, i bought some packets of potato square crisps for 99c instead of the usual $2.99.
    We get coupons on the back of shopping dockets for specials like,get one adult works meal at Pizza Hutt and get another adult works meal free. Or a free game at the local bowling alley. Stuff like that. But i haven't seen the sort of coupons you are talking about.
    I spose when the stores need to use the coupons to "lure" people into their stores, they need to use the coupons that will get the most people, and most people would go to the store offering super cheap Oreos rather than super cheap lettuce :o(
    And darn girl,I can't get over how organised your pantry is! I just throw everything in mine! lol You want to come over to my house and show me how to organise like that? lol

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Blogger chrissie said…

    Since i've been trying to eat better I've noticed a rise of my foods. Since I don't eat a lot of the staples that I used to eat (high calorie, high carb which is typically really cheap) I've had to spend more money on good for you foods like fruits and veggies and other fresh produce. :(

     
  • At 1:35 AM, Blogger A BLOG NOT HERE said…

    Hi Jen :) HUG

    I've never seen such a well-stocked pantry and I think that's so very smart in more ways than one. I use coupons too but not to the extent that you do because I simply don't have the room that you have and now I wish I DID.

    Like Fat Mom, I use coupons in WalMart too :)

    Oh Doritos...I'm a Doritos FANATIC! You're right - they SHOULD offer us more healthy food coupons than they do the junk food stuff. Maybe they'll do what the fast food places are doing and offer us healthier alternatives soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home