Bust My Size

Join me on my journey to lose over 170 lbs. and become a healthier person.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Week 64

Current weight - 229.6 lbs.
This week's loss - 0.6 lbs.
Total loss - 88.0 lbs.

Still hanging in there at 2500 calories per day (give or take). Today was a tough one. I had to take my oldest daughter to a Girl Scout function and there were tons of temptations. Fast food, cotton candy, Girl Scout cookies, etc. I had some, but I counted everything.

As if there wasn't enough stress in my life, I'm now faced with another dilemma. My youngest daughter will turn 5 in the middle of October and the birthday cut-off for kindergarten is September 30th. Kids born Oct. - Dec. can take a test and if they score 95% or better, they can get into kindergarten early. My daughter's score? 93%! Argh!!!

I got a letter saying that she qualifies for a pre-K program run by the city, but I'm not sure I want her to go there. It's in a pretty rough neighborhood. So the bottom line is... Do I push to have her enrolled in kindergarten early? Do I send her to the public pre-K? Homeschool? I really wish she had scored a lot lower...then my decision would be an easy one. Being so close to the cut-off, however, is just killing me. I don't want to push her, yet I don't want to hold her back. No matter which option I choose she'll probably be pissed about it when she's older. :-/

9 Comments:

  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger Wanna_B_slim said…

    Oh bummer... I know what you mean... We used to live in a not so lovely school zone..and I worried myself sending my babies off to that school... I am now out of that zone but 6 years later still have my children there... because of the lower class citizens that are in that area the Government here tend to pour more money into programs... so all good.. I love the school and have done some training there to be a teacher assistant...
    just check out the school and see what you really think... might be quite ok...

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger Wanna_B_slim said…

    Forgot to say Well done on the loss too... Must be the time of year to be fighting with our losses hey!!! You have done so well... ;o)

     
  • At 3:38 PM, Blogger FatMom said…

    Well, my opinion is maybe push to have her start K, then, if after a couple of months or so, it's just not working, pull her out and just have her home until next year. Just a thought...if you do decide to do that, though, I'd explain it to your daughter that that's what your plan is, so that if she is pulled out in the later fall, she'll understand. Good luck, Mom!

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Dee said…

    We've been having the same dilemma. My son turns 5 at the end of November, the cutoff for kindergarten is Dec 1st. I guess it's not exactly the same dilemma as he can go to kindergarten if we feel he's ready, it's just that he's so close to the cutoff, I worry that we're sending him too soon. I mean, are we really qualified to judge whether or not he's ready for school? I'm like you, I wish he was turning 5 before the school year, then there would be no decision to make!!

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger CactusFreek said…

    You are doing a great job!

    Don't stress over the school thing. She's not quite old enough, so keep her back. Just enjoy your last year at home with her, doing fun stuff :o)
    She won't be annoyed at you later on. Well i can't see why she would.
    I kept my youngest son back a year, and even though this is only his second year at school, he's not bothered. And i can't see it being a problem later on.
    Even though your daughters birthday is in October [As is my daughters, so she's in the same boat] there will be other kids whos birthdays are past the cut off point too.
    If she asks about it later on, just tell her that's the way things turned out, and isn't she lucky? Coz if it hadn't worked out like that, She wouldn't have the great freinds she has now! :o)
    And if she is really bothered about it, send her to therapy and let them sort it out! lol

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger CactusFreek said…

    ..oh, i kept my son back by choice, because he had speech problems. Still has!

     
  • At 12:59 AM, Blogger Christine said…

    You've got some great numbers there girl! Keep up the good work!

     
  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger Abba said…

    Great job on your loss! My opinion, ask your daughter what she wants to do. If she decides it's not for her, you can always take her out and have her wait.

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger FatMom said…

    ACK, JEN! WHERE ARE YOU??? MISS YOUR POSTS. TODAY IS FRIDAY, MAY 25TH!!! POST, POST, POST! ;~)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home