Bust My Size

Join me on my journey to lose over 170 lbs. and become a healthier person.

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Totally not weightloss related...




You'd have to be living under a rock in the middle of nowhere to have not heard about global warming these days. Since it's such a "hot" topic, I figured I'd "weigh in" with my view. :-D

People keep arguing about whether or not the threat is real. I'm kind of on the fence and leaning towards this being a real threat. However, shouldn't we be treating our planet better regardless?

Do we need the threat of global warming to drive less and use less gasoline? Maybe we should be using less to save ourselves money? Or how about to keep our air cleaner? In the late 70's I lived in Jacksonville, Florida where the skies were always a grayish shade of blue. To this day I remember my amazement that day in 1981 when we moved to western Massachusetts and I saw a really blue sky. Shouldn't we be driving less and creating less emissions so our kids can have clean air to breathe and beautiful blue skies?

Do we need to be told to create less waste and recycle because it's better for our planet? Why not do this so that we can have fewer landfills? On a hot summer day if the wind is just right, I can smell the city landfill. It's not good. Why don't we just use less stuff and recycle what we do so our quality of life is better and we're not all living next to mountains of trash?

How about water? Again I bring up the wallet. Why waste water? Here in the city water is pretty expensive so I try to use less whenever I can. Would it kill us to make sure our dishwashers and washing machines are full when we run them? How about turning the water off while brushing teeth? Taking shorter showers? Turning the water level down in our toilets? In my opinion, using sprinklers to water your lawn (and half the freakin' street!) is a huge waste and this is something I see far too often. If you're going to water any vegetation, just plant a garden. Then you'll be saving gas by not driving to the store and there won't be any packaging to dispose of since vegetables grown in your garden have no packaging!

Whether or not global warming truly is a real threat remains to be seen, but why don't we just treat our planet better regardless? It just makes "cents". :-D

2 Comments:

  • At 6:04 PM, Blogger Billy said…

    Very good insights. I agree. We have all just gotten lazy. Technology has done this to us.

     
  • At 7:07 AM, Blogger TitanThirteen said…

    I agree with you. Why do you need laws to stop us being so wasteful?
    And yet we live in the age of recycling, but all our appliances are only made to last untill the warrenty runs out! Unlike the old days when a vacuum cleaner lasted 10-15 years. Sad aye?
    We should be way more considerate of the world around us!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home