Bust My Size

Join me on my journey to lose over 170 lbs. and become a healthier person.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Now with 50% more calories!

As if sweetened iced tea wasn't sweet enough, we now have "extra sweet" tea! Regular sweet tea has 70 calories per serving, or 140 per bottle, but this new and improved stuff has 110 calories per serving, or 220 for the whole bottle. But wait! There's more! All of those calories come from High Fructose Corn Syrup which is one of the worst sweeteners out there.

I just had to give this stuff a try, and when I did it was so sweet it made my lips curl in and my eyes cross. Yes, seriously! My husband, however, thought it was awesome! LOL He's from the deep south where everyone drinks "swait tay". They serve it in every restaurant there and for the uninitiated it's like a super-saturated sugar solution (Hi Mrs. Lenehan from 6th grade science!) with a bit of tea flavor and is not suitable for human consumption. :-)

So anyways... Shame on Lipton for filling a bottle with liquid sugar and smacking on a label that boasts that it contains "Naturally Protective Antioxidents" and trying to pass this stuff off as "healthy".

3 Comments:

  • At 6:29 PM, Blogger Abi said…

    Yeah, I am from the south and everyone here drinks sweet tea as if it were water. It was a habit that was hard for me to break - now I make my sweet tea with splenda. I have told my brother if he would quit drinking sweet tea - he would prolly drop 20 lbs! But, it seems Lipton is just trying to give the majority of American's what they want... unhealthy, high calorie junk! You have to be educated to get past their marketing!

     
  • At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What? It has the worst sweetener in it & twice the calaries, and you figured you'd just HAVE to try it!?! lol That's really funny! lol
    I've never tried iced tea as i can't imagine it being nice. But i'm a real sucker for iced coffee! I used to drink it all the time, but now i save it for occasionaly. I never looked at the sugar in that..maybe i should. [gee i'm slack!]

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Kimberly said…

    That's so gross! I've been trying so hard lately not to buy anything with high fructose corn syrup (like I need to waste any more time looking at food labels), but it is so hard! There was hfcs in my WHOLE GRAIN BREAD! Yech!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home